The APTLI 2022 Lecturer applications have closed.
For those who applied to teach with us this summer, or who are interested in applying for a future summer, we encourage you to keep reading for more information.
Apply to Teach at APTLI:
For detailed listings of the current job openings, please visit the Position Vacancy Listings (PVLs) linked below. Please read the PVL postings carefully and contact us if you have questions:
For Lecturers: Summer 2022 Lecturer applications must be submitted through the UW-Madison online job portal. Required materials for the online portal will include:
- A cover letter that addresses your teaching philosophy. Please specify which language(s) you are able to teach, and at which level(s) (beginning, intermediate, advanced, or all three). Please also mention the number of semesters taught in higher education language courses or equivalent experience.
- An up-to-date curriculum vitae
- Syllabus from a language course you taught
- List of three professional references
Please pay attention to the following when applying:
- Applications sent by mail or email will not be accepted.
- Please do not submit applications for languages other than those listed on the PVL.
- You must submit all three items (cover letter, CV, language(s)/level(s) of interest) in order to be considered for a position.
- Instructor position dates are one week longer than the dates of APTLI classes, as instructors are expected to participate in the entirety of pedagogy training prior to the start of the program.
- A successful applicant will be responsible for ensuring eligibility for employment in the United States on or before the effective date of the appointment. International applicant should be advised that the US government has established new English language proficiency requirements for J-1 visa applications. If you did not obtain a degree from an institution where instruction occurred in English, you will be asked to submit a qualifying TOEFL/IELTS score from within the past 5 years or other accepted proof of English proficiency before we can start your visa application. We may also request a Skype/Zoom video interview to verify your proficiency. Applicants must check all dates and conditions of their various visas in order to be eligible for employment.
- The salary listed is the minimum base rate on which the instructor’s salary for the summer session would be calculated. The actual compensation for this nine-week appointment would range between $11,000-$13,500, depending on experience based on the academic year rate.
- Instructors are responsible for their own travel costs, accommodations, and living expenses.
- Hiring of instructors is contingent upon sufficient enrollment. Please not that offers of employment will be conditional until enrollment numbers are confirmed in the spring.