The Summer 2022 APTLI application still accepting applications!
For application assistance visit our helpful info site here.
Application Instructions (All Applicants)
1. Complete the online APTLI Summer 2022 Application. Please fill in all the information requested and then click “Submit” at the bottom of the page.
2. Submit all prior transcripts via the above online application link, or send directly to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Scanned or unofficial copies are accepted)
3. Submit two letters of recommendation:
4. Pay the non-refundable $25 APTLI Application Fee. The electronic payment link is accessible at this link: APTLI Fee Payment
5. (Optional) Apply for financial aid and scholarships/fellowships for use at APTLI.
- Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) awards through IRIS NRC: APTLI students are highly encouraged if eligible to apply for a FLAS award through IRIS NRC. The IRIS NRC has opened a supplemental FLAS competition for summer 2022. The priority deadline for this competition is April 1, 2022 with initial awarding decisions made the following week. From April 2 the competition will remain open and decisions will be made on a rolling basis. Link to apply: https://flas.wisc.edu/
- WISLI Tuition Scholarship (deadline March 15, 2022) & Other Funding Opportunities: https://aptli.wisc.edu/funding-2/
To be considered complete by the priority deadline, all applications and accompanying materials (including transcripts, letters of recommendation, and application fee) must be received by April 1, 2022. Potential applicants who miss the April 1st priority deadline should contact us to see if there is space on a wait list before applying.
Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis. Admission to the program is contingent on our enrollments and ability to offer all levels in each language.
Please contact us at email@example.com with inquiries.
Once you have been accepted to the APTLI program (acceptance letters sent out on a rolling basis), you will enroll to become a UW-Madison Special Student.
You must become a UW-Madison Special Student in order to receive UW-Madison academic credit. The instructions below will guide you through the application and enrollment process as a UW-Madison Special/Nondegree student. Please allow 30 minutes to answer the application questions to the best of your ability.
- Apply to become a UW-Madison student by completing the Special Student web application for the Summer 2022 term.
- Select Nondegree/Special as your reason for applying
- Select Pre-Selected Populations (UNPS) as your “Applying as” option
- list “APTLI” for your academic plans.
- As for Residency for Tuition Determination, please be guided by the following:
- Wisconsin Statutes, Section 36.27(2), govern resident status for tuition purposes. If you do not qualify as a Wisconsin resident, in most cases your tuition will be assessed at the higher out-of-state rate. Although these questions are quite detailed, please answer them to the best of your ability to avoid processing delays.
- When you receive your UW-Madison Student ID number, forward it to the APTLI office for authorization to enroll in summer classes. (If you are a current UW-Madison student send your ID number to the APTLI office and skip the next step.)
- Using your student ID number, activate your NetID and password. This will give you access to the University’s online systems for enrollment, tuition & financial account, email, etc. Your UW-Madison email address is the official means of communication for University business – make sure you check it regularly or forward to another address.
- Follow the instructions you receive from APTLI to enroll in your language class online at MyUW. Verify your enrollment by viewing your class schedule. Enroll before arriving in Madison to make sure you avoid the late enrollment fee.
Note that students who previously attended in UW-Madison but have not been enrolled for one or more semesters are considered reentry students. If you recall your MyUW NetID and password, you may submit the shorter Reentry Special Student Application & Residence for Tuition Purposes Application in your Student Center.
After you have enrolled for classes, the Bursar’s Office will send you an email about your electronic tuition bill for $5,000 (out-of-state) or UW-Madison WI/MN in-state resident fee. Your student financial account, along with payment instructions, can be accessed through MyUW in the Student Center.
Students that have never taken a class at UW-Madison will be charged a one-time new student transcript fee of $130, which allows for unlimited transcript orders. If you have already taken a course at UW-Madison, you should not have to pay the fee. For more information, click https://registrar.wisc.edu/documentfee/.
Pay attention to the tuition deadline to avoid a $100 late fee.
If someone will be sponsoring you to attend APTLI (i.e., an external fellowship), contact us as soon as possible for information on setting up a third-party payment.