The 2021 APTLI application is open!
For application assistance visit our helpful info site here.
Each application requires:
- A complete online application (See preview of the online application here)
- All prior transcripts sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. (Scanned or unofficial copies by email are accepted)
- 2 letters of recommendation
- A $25 non-refundable application fee –> FEE WAIVED THROUGH DECEMBER 31, 2020! (i.e. If you apply by December 31, 2020, you do NOT have to pay the application fee)
- Please follow this link and select “APTLI application fee ($25)” under the “Fee to be Paid” dropdown menu.
- (Optional) Apply for financial aid and scholarships/fellowships at your home institution for use at APTLI.
All applications must be received and complete (including transcripts, letters of recommendation, and application fee) by April 1, 2021. Potential applicants who miss the April 1st deadline should contact us to see if there is space on a wait list before applying.
Applications will be assessed on a rolling basis and acceptance letters will start being sent in early April 2021. Admission to the program is contingent on our enrollments and ability to offer all levels in each language.
Please contact us at email@example.com with inquiries.
Once you have been accepted to the APTLI program (acceptance letters sent out on a rolling basis starting in April 2021), you will enroll to become a UW-Madison Special Student.
You must become a UW-Madison Special Student in order to receive UW-Madison academic credit.. The instructions below will guide you through the application and enrollment process as a UW-Madison Special/Nondegree student. Please allow 30 minutes to answer the application questions to the best of your ability.
- Apply to become a UW-Madison student by completing the Special Student web application for the Summer 2021 term.
- Select Nondegree/Special as your reason for applying
- Select Pre-Selected Populations (UNPS) as your “Applying as” option
- list “APTLI” for your academic plans.
- As for Residency for Tuition Determination, please be guided by the following:
- Wisconsin Statutes, Section 36.27(2), govern resident status for tuition purposes. If you do not qualify as a Wisconsin resident, in most cases your tuition will be assessed at the higher out-of-state rate. Although these questions are quite detailed, please answer them to the best of your ability to avoid processing delays.
- When you receive your UW-Madison Student ID number, forward it to the APTLI office for authorization to enroll in summer classes. (If you are a current UW-Madison student send your ID number to the APTLI office and skip the next step.)
- Using your student ID number, activate your NetID and password. This will give you access to the University’s online systems for enrollment, tuition & financial account, email, etc. Your UW-Madison email address is the official means of communication for University business – make sure you check it regularly or forward to another address.
- Follow the instructions you receive from APTLI to enroll in your language class online at MyUW. Verify your enrollment by viewing your class schedule. Enroll before arriving in Madison to make sure you avoid the late enrollment fee.
Note that students who previously attended in UW-Madison but have not been enrolled for one or more semesters are considered reentry students. If you recall your MyUW NetID and password, you may submit the shorter Reentry Special Student Application & Residence for Tuition Purposes Application in your Student Center.
After you have enrolled for classes, the Bursar’s Office will send you an email about your electronic tuition bill for $5,000 (out-of-state) or $2,500 (in-state resident). Your student financial account, along with payment instructions, can be accessed through MyUW in the Student Center.
Students that have never taken a class at UW-Madison will be charged a one-time new student transcript fee of $130, which allows for unlimited transcript orders. If you have already taken a course at UW-Madison, you should not have to pay the fee. For more information, click https://registrar.wisc.edu/documentfee/.
Pay attention to the tuition deadline to avoid a $100 late fee.
If someone will be sponsoring you to attend APTLI (i.e., an external fellowship), contact us as soon as possible for information on setting up a third-party payment.