The Institute for Regional and International Studies (IRIS) National Resource Center has just opened a supplemental competition for Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) Fellowships for learners who are interested in attending the Arabic, Persian, and Turkish Language Institute (APTLI) this summer. Summer FLAS fellows receive up to $5000 towards tuition and fees, and a stipend of $2500.
To be eligible for the award, students must be:
- Enrolled at the time of the award as an undergraduate or graduate student in a degree program at UW-Madison or at another institution other than UW-Madison (students who graduate at the end of summer are also eligible for a summer FLAS).
- US citizens or nationals or permanent residents
- Applying for study at the intermediate and advanced levels. Graduate students might be granted an exception to allow beginning level language study if the student has achieved advanced proficiency in another language of the world area of specialization, and if learning a second language of that world area is required for the student’s overall training and expertise. More detailed information on eligibility is on the FLAS website (https://flas.wisc.edu/).
Applications will be accepted via the UW-Madison FLAS portal (https://flas.wisc.edu/apply/) until 11:50 p.m. Central Time on Wednesday, March 24, 2021.
- For more information on FLAS awards and to apply, go to: https://flas.wisc.edu/. For FLAS-related questions, contact email@example.com.
- For more information on the APTLI program and to apply go to: https://aptli.wisc.edu/. For APTLI-related questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. APTLI 2021 will be held remotely in Summer 2021 with plans to return to face-to-face instruction in Summer 2022.